Friday, January 3, 2014

Circling the Square: A resolution to get in shape and get organized

Ah, a new year, a new calendar and a new chance to get it all right in 2014. Doesn't that all sound great? Oh, whom am I kidding? Even if I subscribe to all the things I promised myself to do or change, I know that I will probably make the same mistakes all over again. That's just human nature.

***

However, I did promise to get back in shape. Instead of running around doing everything, like I do now, I'm going to try to be more selective and not get so frazzled. These last few weeks between Christmas and New Year's have been unbelievable hectic. I've misplaced things and actually lost a $25 gift certificate to McDonald's I bought for someone. When I couldn't find it, I sent an SOS out to St. Anthony, who managed to recreate the scenario in my mind that let me know I dropped it when I was getting into the car. The problem was caused by multi-tasking, multi-carrying and not stopping to get organized before taking off. And, the worst part of it is that I didn't listen to my inner voice telling me to slow down.

***

I've become so disorganized and overwhelmed that I realize I can't repeat this kind of behavior another year. I also realize that I'm getting bogged down with STUFF, things that really aren't important or that I haven't used for a long time. I've promised to pack them up and give away what can be used and chuck the rest. And that sounds good to me.

***

I've even promised myself that I will eat as well as my dog. No, I don't mean that I'm planning to eat dog food even if some of it looks great. Heck, she doesn't even like most of the stuff, but she sure likes what I eat. Instead, I'll plan ahead and not settle for cookies and chocolate in a pinch.

***

What I won't give up though are my vitamins. I know that probably sounds strange but it blew my mind several weeks ago when one of the big news items was on vitamins and why most of them are worthless. Maybe that's true if you are a nutrition expert and you eat all the right foods but that isn't true for most of us. They also discouraged the use of Vitamin D supplements. Many years ago, a physician friend, who happened to specialize in osteoporosis in his later years, did a Vitamin D test on me and he told me I was Vitamin D deficient. On his recommendation, I started to take a D capsule each day. So, when I was referred to an endocrinologist for thyroid problems, the endocrinologist wanted to know why I was taking Vitamin D. Actually she was upset with me and she just about ordered me to stop. Three months later at a follow-up appointment, she discovered my leg bones hurt when she pressed them. The reason: Vitamin D deficiency. So, she ordered me to take them again. It's so typical. Every time researchers push something, a few years later they contradict it. It's almost like New England weather: If you don't like it, just wait a minute." Admittedly the opinions don't change that rapidly but eventually they will. Bottom line; I'm still going to take a multivitamin, Vitamin D and calcium supplements because sooner or later they will reverse their decision anyway.

Ah, a new year, a new calendar and a new chance to get it all right in 2014. Doesn't that all sound great? Oh, whom am I kidding? Even if I subscribe to all the things I promised myself to do or change, I know that I will probably make the same mistakes all over again. That's just human nature.

***

However, I did promise to get back in shape. Instead of running around doing everything, like I do now, I'm going to try to be more selective and not get so frazzled. These last few weeks between Christmas and New Year's have been unbelievable hectic. I've misplaced things and actually lost a $25 gift certificate to McDonald's I bought for someone. When I couldn't find it, I sent an SOS out to St. Anthony, who managed to recreate the scenario in my mind that let me know I dropped it when I was getting into the car. The problem was caused by multi-tasking, multi-carrying and not stopping to get organized before taking off. And, the worst part of it is that I didn't listen to my inner voice telling me to slow down.

***

I've become so disorganized and overwhelmed that I realize I can't repeat this kind of behavior another year. I also realize that I'm getting bogged down with STUFF, things that really aren't important or that I haven't used for a long time. I've promised to pack them up and give away what can be used and chuck the rest. And that sounds good to me.

***

I've even promised myself that I will eat as well as my dog. No, I don't mean that I'm planning to eat dog food even if some of it looks great. Heck, she doesn't even like most of the stuff, but she sure likes what I eat. Instead, I'll plan ahead and not settle for cookies and chocolate in a pinch.

***

What I won't give up though are my vitamins. I know that probably sounds strange but it blew my mind several weeks ago when one of the big news items was on vitamins and why most of them are worthless. Maybe that's true if you are a nutrition expert and you eat all the right foods but that isn't true for most of us. They also discouraged the use of Vitamin D supplements. Many years ago, a physician friend, who happened to specialize in osteoporosis in his later years, did a Vitamin D test on me and he told me I was Vitamin D deficient. On his recommendation, I started to take a D capsule each day. So, when I was referred to an endocrinologist for thyroid problems, the endocrinologist wanted to know why I was taking Vitamin D. Actually she was upset with me and she just about ordered me to stop. Three months later at a follow-up appointment, she discovered my leg bones hurt when she pressed them. The reason: Vitamin D deficiency. So, she ordered me to take them again. It's so typical. Every time researchers push something, a few years later they contradict it. It's almost like New England weather: If you don't like it, just wait a minute." Admittedly the opinions don't change that rapidly but eventually they will. Bottom line; I'm still going to take a multivitamin, Vitamin D and calcium supplements because sooner or later they will reverse their decision anyway.

***

I've received enough invitations to baby showers to know that parents-to-be now go through the lengthy process of filling out a baby registry with all the things needed to bring a baby home from the hospital cause without it, the baby can't come home. Who knew it when we had our children? But truly, I can understand that. I'm also familiar with bridal registries but this one blew my mind - a Toys R Us registry for children's gifts. When I first heard it, I was shocked. Does that mean that if someone's kids are invited to a friend's birthday party invitations are going to come with Little Johnny is registered at Toys R Us as well? When I mentioned it to some folks, they actually thought it was a good idea. I guess it might be a help to grandparents, although in the past, their toy registry used to be the child's parents who would either tell them what the kids would like or they would buy the gifts for them to give. Maybe Pet Smart and Petco are missing something. Perhaps they should come up with a puppy registry with items expectant puppy parents will need. Why not? Everyone else is doing it.

***

I do hope you all enjoyed your Christmas. For me, it seemed to zoom by. I can't recall a Christmas season that I really didn't enjoy that much; it was just too short and too fast. However, I did get to share some special times with friends. I love stopping in at Kevin and LeeAnn Lyons' home. It's fun seeing LeeAnn's daughter, Kate Jackson, and Emma and Grace Brinkley, daughters of Amanda and Steve Brinkley and granddaughters of Diane and Bob Brinkley and LeeAnn and Kevin. Gosh those little girls have grown up so quickly and lovely. It doesn't seem possible that they are so mature.

***

After that I stopped by my house to take Misty for a walk since she had already eaten. Then it was off to Ralph and Karen Kane's house. Although it's now just a family party (plus me), when there are 8-year old twins (Alison and Brett Kane), 9-year old Camille Kamisky and 7-year old, Jackson Kamisky, you have a full house. All four are at imaginative ages and they interpreted "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" in dance and movement while Christina Kane Kamisky read the story.

***

Then it was back home again to take Misty out once more, before my Christmas Eve finale with my neighbors Lorraine McGuinness, Leslie, Pete, Alana and Meredith Tremblay, and young Lorraine McGuinness, now of Somerville, whose husband Jason wasn't able to come. Soon it was time for Lorraine and Leslie to leave for St. Mary's where the two were to sing several songs with the choir from 11:30 to midnight when they were to sing at Midnight Mass.

***

The next morning I skipped a brunch; I was just too tired. I finally pulled myself together, showered and dressed and managed to become rejuvenated enough to enjoy another tradition, Christmas at Richard and Ethel Trask's house. That's always a lot of fun. Richard does an amazing job of handing out the gifts. He keeps up a running repartee that's funny and clever. It's also mind-boggling to see how grown up Richard and Ethel's grandchildren are. Zach and Grace are the children of Elizabeth (Trask) and Brad Peterson. It's a busy day for them, getting gifts, playing with their cousins and joining us all for Christmas carols. It's fascinating to me that when I first began joining the Trasks for Christmas dinner, Gardner and Trish Trask's kids were young and in school from elementary to middle and high school. Gardner (or Gardie) has already graduated from Northeastern University and is an engineer; Lisa graduated from Bridgewater State University and works as a teacher/mentor and substitute teacher at the high school; and Julie is a double major student at Johnson and Wales. She will receive a Bachelor of Science degree for Culinary Nutrition as well as a Bachelor of Science degree for Baking and Pastry Arts. Lisa also has three concentrations in Food Science Nutrition, Dietary Nutrition and Sommelier. She hopes to graduate in 2015. Julie's culinary interests go way back. She has always loved to bake, so she certainly is heading in the right direction. The sommelier kind of threw me, though. I don't know how that suddenly popped up but it's probably a smart thing to do; a good sommelier is hard to find. Then again, I'm not sure they're of much benefit in the $8 to $10 category.

**

But I digress; it's back to the Trasks. In addition to the wonderful Christmas dinner for which we thank Ethel, we seriously sang Christmas carols under the direction of daughter Elizabeth who has education and music degrees and teaches in the Amesbury school system. It was a wonderful day made even more special with people, including Aunt Theresa Brundage, formerly of Danvers and now of Brooksby Village, and Ethel's brother Greg Bogohsian, a former DHS graduate and his wife, Donna, as well as Boghosian offspring.

***

My biggest surprise was from Ethel and Richard Trask - a special plaque for my house. A few months ago, I was at the Archives talking to Richard, who happens to be the archivist. Somehow we got on the subject of plaques honoring the original owner of a house but most of the properties date back to a few from the 17th century but more from the 18th and 19th centuries and even early 20th. I recall telling Richard that since we had our house build in 1965, I felt kind of bad that I didn't live in an older home so I could buy a plaque. At the time, Richard told me that any home could have a plaque for the $45 dollar fee, which actually benefits the library. I then said to Richard, "What should I say, Myrna Fearer, Journalist, 1965?" That's when he told me that the plaque is usually in the male owner's name. Ordinarily I might have called that sexist but since I loved my husband dearly - and still do - I decided that was really the way to go. But, I just never got around to it.

***

I was overwhelmed and thrilled that my gift from Ethel and Richard was a plaque that says, "Nathan H. Fearer, Physician 1965." I couldn't be happier. Gardner kindly offered to put my plaque up but I really want the honor to go to my son, Matthew.

***

This was the year of the plaque because Richard Trask commissioned one for his nephew Gardner for his house that was once owned by Richard's mom and dad, Gardner's grandparents. Since Selectman Gardner now lives there with his wife and children, it keeps it in the family. Their plaque says: Gardner Trask Sr., Assistant Treasurer 1952. The reference is to Gardner Sr.'s position at State Street Bank in Boston.

***

So it doesn't matter if your house dates back to the Witchcraft Delusion or was built in the 21st century, for $45 you, too, can own a plaque and be proud of it. And if you have an older house and you need help with its provenance, see Archivist Richard Trask; you will be happy you did.

***

Do you still have a Christmas sweater? For years I had planned to buy one when they were marked down at the end of the season. But by that time, I was no longer interested. And then one year, there were no marked down sweaters because they never showed up before Christmas. Gone was the Christmas sweater craze but not forgotten. There are still some diehards who insist on pulling them out each year. At the last Danvers Garden Club meeting, President Sue Robertson not only wore hers, but she had any and all wearers join her for a picture. Looks like Gardner Trask thinks they are fashionable enough to wear to one of his gigs, though he at least named his picture correctly: Ugly Christmas sweater.

***

I may be one of the few people who still likes to receive Christmas letters with family pictures. Some folks put them in the same category as the Christmas fruitcake but I actually like hearing what the children are up to and I really enjoy the pictures. But the one that cracks me up each year is the Christmas card from Nicole and Jason Allain that features their large boxed christmas cards on sale Ring Ding. Either Ring Ding lost some of his girth or the firedog outfit he's wearing is oversized and slimming.

***

I have to thank Sue Nickerson for sending me the recipe for Black Dog Ginger Cookies from Martha's Vineyard after I mentioned buying some at the Garden Club Greens Sale. Sue sent it along with a page of all kinds of tips and hints about how to save some of the dough rather than trying to make all the cookies at one time. Am I glad since, as she says, the recipe makes 8 dozen cookies and that's a lot of dough!

***

Friday night, some cousins of mine from Marblehead asked me to join them for dinner at Turner's in Salem. What a happening place! We had a wonderful time and their fish is phenomenal, however I was sad that Salem's gain is our loss. The owners were originally planning to open their restaurant near BJ's and Hollywood Hits in Danvers but something transpired that soured the deal and when the Lyceum was for sale, they jumped on it. Perhaps with a few more liquor licenses that kind of thing won't happen and we'll be able to attract more terrific eateries in the near future.

***

I've been a big proponent of the Post Office and I love buying interesting stamps to put on my cards and letters. Even though they raised the price of stamps one cent at a time each year I still bought them. Now they're going to make it 3 cents and that's a big jump. I know they say they are operating at a loss and have to make up the deficit but what they don't seem to realize is as postage goes up, usage goes down. Rather than pay 49 cents to mail a first class letter, people will be corresponding by email even more. I'm already anticipating fewer Christmas cards next year.

***

I've been telling you to save certain dates for quite a while and now they are almost here. Jan. 20 the Danvers Committee for Diversity will be honoring three individuals as Drum Majors for Justice. They include retired police Capt. Carole Germano, Donald Preston, an activist for Habitat for Humanity, and Rabbi Emily Mathis, rabbi at Temple Beth Shalom in West Peabody and keynote speaker. The event is at the Danversport Yacht Club. Tickets, which include dinner, are $35 per person. You can purchase them from Susan Fletcher at the Planning Dept.

***

I know you will all want to attend the event honoring Endicott Park Rangers David and Joan Townley on Thursday, Jan. 28, also at the Danversport Yacht Club. The longtime (40 years) caretakers of the park and all it entails will be moving to New Hampshire but not without a proper sendoff hosted by Danvers Kiwanis. The club will be presenting the Townleys with the fourth Lifetime Achievement award and the evening promises to be a worthy tribute for a special couple. Tickets are $40 each and can be purchased at Hartnett's Auto Body or Danvers Recreation at Town Hall.

***

Since this is only the second day of the New Year, we can still wish all our readers a very Happy and Healthy 2014. May it be a good one.

No comments:

Post a Comment